Open Call for Participation: Platform addressing Cultural Management and Cultural Policies, higher Education and Training
The Technical Assistance Unit of Med Culture, a regional Programme funded by the European Union, is launching a call for participation in a platform addressing Cultural Management and Cultural Policies, Higher Education and Training. This activity falls within Med Culture’s 2017 initiative on “Advocacy for Culture” in the Neighbourhood South (Algeria, Egypt, Israel, Jordan, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Palestine, Syria, Tunisia).
Following a number of activities developed by Med Culture, higher education and training in cultural management and policies, emerged as one of the main priorities in the region today. To tackle these issues, Med Culture is launching a call for participation in a platform dedicated to cultural management and policies in higher education and training.
This activity is foreseen to be implemented back-to-back with the first activities of a training of trainers programme, to which the participation is also made possible through an open call launched on 28 January, 2017. Please note that candidates may apply to both calls.
The platform aims at gathering a number of peers from the region who will pursue networking and exchanges relative to higher education in cultural policies and management, and in artistic disciplines. It shall also contribute to the debate about various topics related to employability, education and capacity building initiatives in cultural management. It should facilitate partnerships processes between the members of the group that can be pursued subsequently, independently of Med Culture.
This platform should also offer the opportunity to exchange on best practices and propose initiative at regional level on issues such as the role of Culture as a vector for civil society in defending human rights, dealing with migration issues, preventing extremism, and reducing inequalities.
The final group of participants shall be heterogeneous and will include people from different backgrounds and fields of expertise, who will bring a fresh perspective to the exchanges. This call welcomes academics and representatives of public and private universities; representatives from ministries of Culture, Higher Education, Labour and Planning; trainers and organisations providing trainings in the field of cultural management and policies; cultural operators; private sector companies involved in culture; and foundations supporting cultural projects in the region.
The present call targets people dealing with arts and culture as their core business, but also people involved in fields related to culture, such as sustainable development, public policy making, social inclusion, social economics, digital business, crafts, etc.
A two and a half days meeting taking place in Rabat- Morocco from 25 to 27 April 2017, with a second opportunity to meet again during the final regional conference of the programme in October 2017 for some participants of the platform.
The meeting will tackle different topics, such as employability, curricula design, long life learning for teachers/trainers, access to cultural educational programmes, the involvement of the private sector in the cultural field etc. It will also give some tools to facilitate and promote networking dynamics in this field in the region.
30 people from South Mediterranean countries
- University teachers and representatives of public and private universities teaching/offering courses in topics connected to the arts, to cultural management and cultural policies, as well as related fields
- Trainers and organisations involved in providing trainings in the field of the arts and culture, advocacy and related fields
- Junior and senior cultural practitioners involved in training and/or showing a strong interest in this field (at least 5 places will be guaranteed for applicants under 30).
- Ministries of Culture, Higher Education, Labour and Planning
- Private sector companies involved in culture
- Foundations supporting cultural projects in the region
The selected candidates are expected to be contribute actively to the meeting(s). Participants of previous activities organised by Med Culture are encouraged to apply to this call. At least 5 places will be kept for participants under 30.
The selection jury is composed of experts including one member of Med Culture team. The candidates are selected based on the submission of:
- a CV (2 pages), according to the attached CV form (see below)
- a Motivation letter explaining your interest in participating in this programme and the contribution you would like to bring to this platform
Most of the people participating in this platform will be identified through this call, however Med Culture will invite a few guests to take part in the first meeting in Rabat.
- have a strong command of Arabic. Knowledge of French OR English is a requirement.
- work in the academic or training field, in the cultural field, or in connected fields (sustainable development, tourism, etc.) within civil society/cultural organisations, the public sector, or as freelancers.
- commit to participate actively in this activity
- be residents in one of the involved countries: Algeria, Egypt, Israel, Jordan, Lebanon, Morocco, Palestine and Tunisia. Candidates with Syrian or Libyan nationality who come from the civil society sector and who reside in their country or elsewhere are also eligible.
- A couple of places will be open to representatives from European universities and the Arab World (Gulf countries) as well as European training organisations or private companies interested in investing in the southern Mediterranean region
- Be involved in higher education/training in cultural management and policies or related fields
- and/or show a strong interest/commitment in these issues
Travel and accommodation expenses are taken in charge by Med Culture.
Send your application in ONE file of 4 pages maximum including, while making sure to mention the name of the activity in the subject of your e-mail message:
- CV in French, English or Arabic (education, current activities, etc.) according to the attached CV form (see below), with your full name as it figures in your passport, your birth date and country, as well as your current email and telephone number (2 pages max)
- Motivation letter explaining your interest in participating in this programme and the contribution you would like to bring to this platform (1-2 page)
For inquiries please contact email@example.com
Deadline for submitting applications: 22nd February, 2017
Results will be announced on 10th March 2017.
Selected candidates will be informed by e-mail.
Med Culture is a 4-year (2014-2018) regional programme funded by the European Union to accompany partner countries in south of the Mediterranean in the development and improvement of cultural policies and practices related to the culture sector. The approach is consultative/participative and takes place in partnership with civil society actors, ministries, private and public institutions involved in culture as well as other related sectors.
 study about cultural management and cultural policies in education and training, Action 2 ministries, and P2P workshops