20 professionals selected through an open call out of 100 applicants. The group included:
- Cultural practitioners and artists from the civil society and private sector
This 2nd workshop comes in conclusion of the Thematic Cycle “Broadening the base- working in the peripheries”, and builds on the 1st workshop held in Tunis in Sep 2015, which tackled different sub-topics such as local cultural policies, cross-border cultural cooperation, the uses of public space for cultural purposes, and the role of cultural facilities in mobilising practitioners and audiences. This 2nd workshop will continue to explore ways and methodologies on how to contribute to and develop one’s work at the margins of lively urban centres from the perspective of partnership building and teamwork, audience development, and risk management.
One of the main objectives of these capacity development sessions is to enhance, harness and invest in the existing assets to promote culture as a way to make target areas become more dynamic locally, regionally and internationally, therefore ensuring better results and more long term impacts.
In addition, the participants to this 2nd workshop will have the chance to take part in guided visits to the 6th edition of the Marrakech Biennale as well as meeting with the organisers, which will give participants the opportunity to look into the workings of this international event. Participants will also have the chance to discover other cultural centres in Marrakech, as the workshop will take place in two cultural venues.
Participants addressed key questions among others:
- Explore different ways of thinking about collaboration and teams, together with the factors that affect them
- Why develop partnerships in cultural work...what’s the point? And developing partnership practice
- ‘Putting your money where your mouth is’: making partnerships real...
- Defining audience development by doing it, exploring other means and definitions
- Applying risk management to your work/circumstances
- Case studies and breakdown to particular local circumstances