Symposium on Arabic dramaturgies and contemporary theatre in the Arab World – Call for papers
Deadline: 23 July 2018
The Martin E. Segal Theatre Center (GC CUNY), the PH.D. Program in Theatre at The Graduate Center and the Theatre Initiative at the American University of Beirut will be organising a two-days symposium on Arabic dramaturgies and contemporary theatre in the Arab World to be held in NYC on 27-28 September 2018.
Contemporary theatre and performance in the Arabic world is a diverse and contested set of practices that are unfolding in a fast-changing political and culturally complex region. In this situation, the performing arts are under pressure to independently produce new work, uphold traditions – and simultaneously to speak about contemporary lives, nationalism, class, race, religion, gender and new forms of theatre.
In this symposium entitled “Towards an Arab dramaturgy”, organisers ask how theatre can continue to grow, develop artistically and continue to be a voice in the future of the Arabic world. How can the theatre in the region thrive?
This symposium will feature research papers, artist talks and roundtable events on topics including:
- What are Arabic dramaturgies?
- Are there specific local and regional approaches to performance and if so what are these?
- What are the recent trends and issues in contemporary theatre in the Arab world?
- What are examples that represent a new Arab dramaturgy?
- Politics and practice: how does theatre in the region work?
- Questions of gender, sexuality, secularity, class, city, Arabic diversity, ‘others’.
- Theatre as a source of community, audiences, sub-cultures.
- Zones of resistance and solidarity, what does theatre do?
- Tensions and conflicts; ‘occupied territories’ and theatre.
- Innovation and experimentation.
- Theatres of the real.
- Old forms of theatre and new: plays, performance, new media dramaturgy, dance, poetry, music, ritual.
The organization committee will select papers that will be presented in 15-20 minute sessions. In addition to this, the sessions and papers will be compiled in a publication.
The submission of papers will be open from 16 July until 23 July 2018.
Participants will be notified within 10-15 days from the date of submission.